Mixed Vegetables and Tofu Fried Rice (Brown rice)
Many of my customers have informed me that they are very health conscious and are making an effort to eat healthier. I am often asked to prepare dishes for those who want to eat something nutritious and exotic with a Thai flavor. This recipe is just one of the many dishes my customers love.
The beauty of this dish is that it is healthy, flavorful and easy to make. It can be enjoyed by itself or together with other dishes. all the ingredients used can be found in your neighborhood supermarkets such as whole Foods or Publix. An optional ingredient used is red rice, which can be purchased at all local oriental grocery stores. in addition, you can use up left over vegetables from previous meals for this dish.
- 1 cup brown rice or 1 ½ cups if not using red rice.
- ½ cup red rice (optional, if you like to add nutty flavor to the dish)
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups cubes extra firm tofu, 1/2 inch size cubes, blanch in boiling water for a few minutes, drain and set aside.
- Cut choice of vegetables into small pieces, then mix. Some vegetables options are carrots, cabbage, broccoli florets, cauliflower florets, green beans or any other of your favorite vegetables. (Even use the left overs -as long as not fried)
- 1 tablespoon seasoning sauce (Maggi)
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt (skip, if on low sodium diet)
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- A pinch of white ground pepper or freshly ground black pepper
The best way to cook rice is by using a rice cooker. If you choose to cook both brown and red rice, mix them well, soak in water for about 30 minutes prior to cooking. Then add water and rice to rice cooker, and follow cooker directions.
Mix the seasoning sauce and set aside. Heat a large pan or wok on high heat with oil, add all the vegetables. Cook well on high heat for 3-4 minutes. Reduce stove to medium heat, add tofu and seasoning mixture, toss gently until mixed well. Reduce heat again to low, add cooked rice and stir gently to mix all of the ingredients, add white ground pepper. Increase the heat to high again for a quick last minute stir.
- Avoid cooking rice in the pan on high heat for too long because rice will stick to the pan.
- Cucumbers is not a good option when cooking with rice but delicious on the side.
- Tomato lovers can add tomatoes to this recipe also. Just make sure to add it almost to the end of the cooking process and do not over cook.
- Use low sodium soy sauce, skip the seasoning sauce and salt if on low sodium diet.
- Eggs can be added at the very beginning (before vegetables), beat egg lightly in the pan, cook for a minute or two.